UFC Fight Island 8 went down today (Wednesday, January 20, 2021) from Fight Island in Yas Island, Abu Dhabi and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Neil Magny and Michael Chiesa in a welterweight bout.
The co-headliner will see a bout between Warlley Alves vs. Mounir Lazzez. Vinicius Moreira vs. Ike Villanueva, Roxanne Modafferi vs. Viviane Araujo, Matt Schnell vs. Tyson Nam, and Lerone Murphy vs. Douglas Silva de Andrade finished out the main card.
Michael Chiesa vs. Neil Magny
A feeling out process happened before they clinched briefly and then resumed striking. Chiesa was rushing in by throwing strikes in an attempt to get close to Magny for the takedown. Magny was using pressure to keep him at distance, but Chiesa managed to score a takedown with two minutes left in the first round. Magny was able to keep in half guard. Magny clinched with him to start off the second round before Chiesa took him down. Magny tried to scramble, but Chiesa kept on him. Mangy used the fence to get back to the feet, but when he went for a dragging takedown, Mangy ended up on the bottom with Chiesa punching him in the face. Chiesa stunned him with an elbow strike. Chiesa was smothering him in this position. Chiesa peppered him with some jabs to get into the clinch. Magny did get a takedown in the third round and got back control. However, Chiesa was able to get back to his feet, but Magny stayed on him in the clinch. Chiesa got a takedown with under a minute and half to go, but Magny worked for a heel heel. Chiesa took mount then went for a guillotine choke yet decided to let it go. Round four, Chiesa got a takedown and the back where he teased going for a rear-naked choke. Magny was able to scramble to his feet and they traded some shots in the clinch. Chiesa got another takedown, but Magny had Chiesa’s head in a scissors where he landed some shots. Chiesa got the decision win.
Warlley Alves vs. Mounir Lazzez
Alves came out swinging before they clinched. Alves managed to land some elbows then a spinning backfist up against the fence. Alves got a trip takedown into side guard. Lazzez got back to his feet. Alves dropped him with kicks to the body then finished him on the ground.
Vinicius Moreira vs. Ike Villanueva
These guys had no problems coming out and throwing leather. Ike took the first round as he was outlanding and throwing his opponent. In the early part of the second round, Ike knocked him out with one right hook and that was a wrap.
Roxanne Modafferi vs. Viviane Araujo
Modafferi was pressing forward, but eating shots for her efforts. Viviane was lighting her up in the first round and Modafferi had damage to show it. With a minute to go, Modafferi clinched with her up against the fence, but Viviane took her down and got her back. Viviane went for the rear-naked choke, but Modafferi survived the round. Modafferi went for a takedown to start the second round, but got stuffed. Modafferi landed a good right hand. Viviane scored a takedown with seconds left in the round. Modafferi had a cut over her right eye. Roxanne did get a brief takedown in the third round, but Viviane scrambled back to her feet and they clinched up against the fence. Viviane got a takedown and moved into guard with a minute remaining. The judges gave the win to Araujo.
Matt Schnell vs. Tyson Nam
Nam was able to land a hard shot with a minute left in the first round, but Matt took it well. Matt was out landing his opponent and was up on the scorecards. While Nam was being outstriked, when he did throw, he was landing and doing some damage. Nam connected with a hook that knocked out the mouthpiece of his opponent. Matt was busting him up with jabs. The same continued on for the next two rounds. Nam did have success in this fight, but didn’t have the range down and Matt was outshining him. Schnell got the split decision win.
Lerone Murphy vs. Douglas Silva de Andrade
Both guys came out throwing leather as there was no waiting around. Douglas had the range and a mixture of strikes and kicks kept Murphy at distance. Murphy was trying to find an angle and doing a lot of circling to get inside. Murphy did go for a takedown with seconds left in the round, but couldn’t get it. Murphy got a takedown, but Douglas scrambled to his back only to have Murphy scramble back to his feet to start off the second round. Murphy knocked him down with a leg kick. Douglas got another takedown mid-round, but had trouble keeping Murphy down. Douglas came out aggressive in the third round and caught him with a head kick then followed up with a right hand. Murphy took over the fight on the feet in the second round and continued in the third. Murphy got a takedown towards the end of the round. Murphy got the decision win.
It was certain to have a great day of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC Fight Island 8 results below:
Quick UFC Fight Island 8 Results
Main Card (12 p.m. ET, ESPN+)
- Welterweight bout: Michael Chiesa def. Neil Magny by unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 49-46)
- Welterweight bout: Warlley Alves def. Mounir Lazzez by TKO (strikes) at 2:35 of Round 1
- Light heavyweight bout: Ike Villanueva def. Vinicius Moreira by knockout (punch) at :39 of Round 2
- Women’s flyweight bout: Viviane Araujo def. Roxanne Modafferi by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Flyweight bout: Matt Schnell def. Tyson Nam by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Featherweight bout: Lerone Murphy def. Douglas Silva de Andrade by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Middleweight bout: Omari Akhmedov def. Tom Breese by submission (arm-triangle choke) at 1:41 of Round 2
Preliminary Card (9 a.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN+)
- Bantamweight bout: Ricky Simon def. Gaetano Pirrello by submission (arm-triangle choke) at 4:00 of Round 2
- Flyweight bout: Su Mudaerji def. Zarrukh Adashev by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Middleweight bout: Dalcha Lungiambula def. Markus Perez by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Flyweight bout: Francisco Figueiredo def. Jerome Rivera by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Flyweight bout: Mike Davis def. Mason Jones by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bantamweight bout: Umar Nurmagomedov def. Sergey Morozov by submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:39 of Round 2
- Manon Fiorot def. Victoria Leonardo via TKO (head kick and punches) – Round 1, 4:08